Experienced independent consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, historic houses, membership bodies and sector development networks.
Particular strengths include strategy and team development; visioning and brand building; all aspects of marketing communications and visitor engagement; capital and revenue fundraising; culture change, governance and leadership development.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications team and operations, create a digital strategy and recruit a director
• a London museum to review and develop its communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and to develop its Board governance
• a multi-arts centre to build fundraising skills and capacity
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop its fundraising, marketing and branding, and to make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• a university, international festival and national orchestra to recruit senior posts
• a sector support agency to recruit a chief executive and multiple Board members
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials by visiting my LinkedIn profile
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery.
In London I worked on the launch of Tate Modern and the first Darwin Centre, and as External Relations Director for National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.Catherine Holden