Experienced strategic consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, heritage and membership bodies, sector development and leadership networks.
I offer strategic advice, facilitation and coaching. Strengths include branding and all aspects of marketing communications; visitor engagement; capital & revenue fundraising; organisational development: governance, team building and leadership.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications operation and create a digital strategy
• a London museum to review and develop communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and develop Board governance
• two multi-arts centres, to build fundraising skills and to refresh branding
• a national digital agency to develop best practice guidelines
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop fundraising, marketing and branding, and make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• recruit senior posts for a university, two international festivals, a sector support agency, a contemporary gallery, a national theatre and orchestra
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials at my website
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Branding, Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery in Edinburgh.
My life in London included launching Tate Modern and the Natural History Museum’s first Darwin Centre. At National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.Catherine Holden