Freelancer tag May 22nd, 2018Amy Firth
I’m a marketing and audience development consultant with more than a decade of marketing and events expertise. I specialise in working in the creative, arts, culture, heritage, tourism and sustainable sectors.
Previous experience includes:
• Developing and implementing marketing strategies and plans;
• Event management;
• Managing social media profiles and running campaigns;
• Copywriting and content marketing for websites, email newsletters, blogs, print and social media.
Current and previous clients include: Magdalen Road Studios, Creative Dementia Arts Network, The Beacon, Westmill Solar plus many more.
With over 10 years experience working in the industry, I was lucky to be part of the team that delivered the biggest party in 2017: Hull, UK City of Culture.
Promoting 2,000 events, across 250+ venues across the city, I headed up the marketing team which were tasked with building a successful audience development plan and securing 1million extra visitors to Hull during the year of 2017, a figure which was exceeded beyond expectations.
Since my time at Hull UK City of Culture, I have built a successful freelance marketing business – working with predominantly Yorkshire based arts and cultural organisations, festivals and NPOs.
My specialisms include:
– Audience development strategy
– Campaign planning and management
– Brand management
– Marketing management support (in-house if required)
– Communication strategy
– Design, print and production management
– Media planning and evaluation
– Budget management
– Focus groups and evaluation
I have a ‘holistic’ approach to marketing, which integrates operational (i.e. day-to-day) with strategic marketing. I believe this helps clients identify a clear mission statement to provide strategic vision and direction, alongside practical and achievable goals and objectives as short-term measures to ultimately achieve overall aims.
As an Arts Marketing Specialist, I feel passionately about helping cultural organisations tell their story and reach out to their stakeholders, whether audiences, peers, funders, supporters or corporate sponsors.
I am a creative digital expert and award-winning content producer, delivering results for over 12 years to the arts. I’ve helped clients fulfil their digital goals, train and engage with digital solutions and deliver high impact business results. I will help your teams gain in confidence with digital solutions and learn to utilise these skills to grow and develop your audience. Digital projects can be complex and often bewildering. I can translate these needs into easily understandable and practical projects up to board level to help build trust in an organisation’s digital strategy and deliver results! The projects I have worked on have:
– massively increased digital audiences
– simplified ticket purchasing hugely increasing online sales
– raised millions in online donations
– added thousands of new members
– survived epic on sales
– delivered beautiful video works to new audiences
As a former board director of Made Media and Head of Production at The Space, my experience has taken me across four continents, working for arts organisations of all sizes in the UK, US, Australia and Dubai. I learned using agencies comes with a hefty price tag, so I have gone freelance to offer the same levels of service and expertise but at a much more competitive price, helping arts clients get more value for every pound of their budget.
My services include:
– Technical project management of dozens of CMS/CRM integrations: WordPress, Drupal, Silverstripe, Tessitura, Squarespace, CiviCRM, Shopify
– Online ticketing system integrations: Tessitura, Spektrix, Seat Geek, Audienceview
– End to end video production services for both live filming and promotional videos
– High traffic preparations: ticket on sales for major artists
– Digital project strategy and consultancy
– Google Analytics and SEO training and reviews
– Adwords and Facebook ad management & strategy
– Usability studies and reporting
Experienced independent consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, historic houses, membership bodies and sector development networks.
Particular strengths include strategy and team development; visioning and brand building; all aspects of marketing communications and visitor engagement; capital and revenue fundraising; culture change, governance and leadership development.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications team and operations, create a digital strategy and recruit a director
• a London museum to review and develop its communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and to develop its Board governance
• a multi-arts centre to build fundraising skills and capacity
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop its fundraising, marketing and branding, and to make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• a university, international festival and national orchestra to recruit senior posts
• a sector support agency to recruit a chief executive and multiple Board members
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials by visiting my LinkedIn profile
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery.
In London I worked on the launch of Tate Modern and the first Darwin Centre, and as External Relations Director for National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.
I have over 10 years of events marketing and communications experience, working on small-scale cultural programmes to global sporting events. I have experience of, and can support with:
- Bid writing – supporting bids to host events and funding applications
- Strategy planning and delivery
- Audience development – identifying target audiences and developing engagement plans
- Brand and creative development – working with a range of creative agencies from briefing to completition
- Media planning and delivery – working directly with media platforms and with media buying agencies to develop and deliver effective paid campaigns for events
- City dressing and event branding
- Social media and content development
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Stakeholder management
- Crisis comms
Before going freelance, I worked for 10 years at NewcastleGateshead Initiative, the destination marketing agency for Newcastle and Gateshead. During this time I was lucky to work on a varied events programme including high profile sporting events such as Rugby World Cup and Olympics (and their associated cultural programme). I was also involved in the bidding for and marketing of Great Exhibition of the North – a one-off event devised by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and with our own culture team to develop and market our annual programme of events.
My passion is events, and like nothing more than being in delivery mode at an event and seeing all of your planning and hardwork come to fruition.
As a strategic freelance marketing consultant I bring a fresh pair of eyes to your marketing and communications activity. Refresh your marketing with best practice from inside and outside the sector to make sure you get the most out of your marketing.
I can help you with:
* Marketing audit – find out what is working and what isn’t
* Marketing strategies for new or existing offers – find the right people at the right time with the right message
* Brand development – including visual identity, brand positioning and tone of voice
* Marketing campaign planning – ensuring you get the best ROI for your comms
* Digital marketing – set up and best practice for digital marketing channels including AdWords and social media
* Website projects – project management and delivery
* Marketing asset creation – delivery of designs, print, video, email etc through my trusted partners
* Training and coaching – develop your in-house team with bespoke training and support
As a Chartered Marketer, Fellow of the CIM and University Marketing Tutor I have over 20 years of experience in services marketing. I take a collaborative approach to projects ensuring that your in-house team are bought into the new approach. Having worked with large and very small budgets I enjoy finding creative solutions that are low-cost and effective at reaching your target audiences.
My experience includes theatres, tourist attractions, educational programmes, conference venues and community engagement programmes, as well as commercial marketing roles.
I’m based in Nottingham but can work virtually for organisations across the UK.
Get in touch for a chat to see if we’re a good fit.
Using experience gained from a range of arts and cultural organisations I can offer a number of services to support your project including:
Strategy planning and support – Social media coordination – Copywriting and content creation – Audience development
Please contact me to start a conversation about how we can work together.
I provide bespoke, evidence-driven interpersonal communications consultancy, appraisals, and training—
with the aim of improving organisational well-being.
Services include (but are not restricted to) text-analytic assessments of the psychometric properties of internal and external communications material; face-to-face appraisals of communicative style; tailored, strategic solutions to specific communications challenges; team dynamics reviews and strengths identification; and bespoke training in negotiation, persuasion, influence, compliance, conflict resolution, and staff well-being.
A seasoned freelancer of 12 years and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, my consultancy work has attracted the following clients in recent years: Barbican, Battersea Arts Centre, Boulevard Theatre, Bristol Old Vic, Cause4, CREATE, Headlong, Hofesh Shechter, Kneehigh, Nuffield Theatre, Old Vic Theatre, Regents Park Open Air Theatre, Spektrix and Tramshed. I cover a range of areas including, but not limited to: campaign strategy and implementation, branding, audience development, project management (e.g. websites, membership), marketing and comms audits and copywriting. I also deliver workshops on marketing and branding.
From 2007-2011 I was Head of Communications at the Royal Court in London under the artistic directorship of Dominic Cooke, launching more than 80 new plays on an unsuspecting public. In addition, I worked on the West End transfers of Clybourne Park, Jerusalem, ENRON, That Face and Rock n Roll.
Prior to this, I was a freelance marketing and press consultant for a diverse range of art forms including theatre, contemporary dance, comedy and music. My earlier roles include Marketing Account Manager at Ambassador Theatre Group in London and Account Manager at Feref Associates, a design agency.
As a professional Coach and Mentor, I work with middle and senior leaders in the cultural sector to help them achieve their personal and organisational goals.
As an avid believer in life-long learning, I undertake an ongoing programme of professional and personal development, focussing in particular on leadership and change management. Recent courses include: Fundraising and Leadership, Be A Trustee, Digital and Social media strategy, Small Business Big Results.
I am a Trustee of Sister System, a charity which delivers a year-long mentoring and development programme for teenage girls from looked-after care and part of the freelance collective www.makesthree.org
‘I have worked with Kym for many years, through Headlong and Hofesh Shechter Company. She is an extraordinarily effective member of any team: tenacious, dynamic and clear-sighted. I would wholeheartedly recommend her.’
Henny Finch, Executive Producer, Donmar Warehouse
‘Kym joined Bristol Old Vic as Communications Director cover. She designed and delivered the campaign that gave us our highest profile and biggest box office yield to date, and was a great team leader and valued Senior Management strategist. She hit the ground at top speed and stayed there.’
Emma Stenning, Executive Director, Bristol Old Vic
‘ACT engaged Kym for six months because we believed there were more actor-parents we could reach who needed support. More? An understatement! Kym enabled the charity to double its grants to families and forged new and lasting contacts. She listened to our aims, grasped our values and developed a strategy for ACT that was far-reaching, while being focused and achievable. No jargon, no long meetings. Simply: results.’
Robert Ashby, Executive Director
From project managing a new website to producing a full communications strategy, implementing GDPR and digital media, I have a wealth of experiences to offer companies wishing to strengthen brand awareness, build audiences and deliver their work to a high standard through all channels.
I have worked with small to medium sized arts organisations to support their PR and Marketing needs to raise their profile and be heard. I pride myself on my working relationships being open, trusting and warm. I believe in supporting my clients so that their messages cut through the noise.
I can support you in the following ways:
Strategic PR and Marketing planning
Website Development: from start to finish project management
Digital/Social Media Marketing
Database & Budget Management
Data & Evaluation
Internal & Partners comms
PR and Publicity
CMS and Intranet experienced
Print and Distribution
What people say about me:
“Thank you Binita. Feel like I am throwing a ball and you keep catching it.” Rebecca, Entelechy Arts
“Thank goodness for an on the ball PR” Dionne Kennedy from the Big Issue.
I have achieved much over the last few years, and am now keen to support others in their endeavours, to help them reach their full potential.
If you are looking for someone to strategise, plan or implement marketing communications and audience development work, then please get in touch.
Here’s some areas I could help with:
– Branding/visual identity
– Strategy (marketing & audience development)
– Change management
– Communications & social media content integration
– Audience development / customer acquisition & retention
– Data analysis & insight
– Fundraising communications
I am results-oriented, and would love to talk to you about how to make your life easier and your marketing communications more effective. Although I’m based in East Kent, I love to see the world, and can travel.
For some of my blog posts and case studies, please check out my LinkedIn profile — link below.
I reveal hidden income streams and dramatically energise engagement for arts and non-profit organisations. I do this in five main ways:
1) Acting as the matchmaker between marketing and fundraising to create new lines of income
2) Increasing global reach to develop audiences in new territories and bring new international new audiences to you
3) Increasing audience bravery, encouraging audiences to release their inner child and try something new
4) Increasing audience engagement, making audiences need you, not just want you
5) Project managing organisational change projects which combine audience and donor development, fundraising and market research.
I enable organisations to reach their potential through employing the best, most streamlined tactics possible. Working in this streamlined way places me as your navigator to lead the way, putting in the lion’s share of the work, to ensure that your journey from project start to project success is as effortless as possible.
Hannah has experience working with venues, composers, choirs, orchestras, musicians and music charities, leading creative marketing campaigns for numerous concerts outside of traditional spaces, including warehouses, pubs, clubs, museums, hospitals and prisons.
Specialising in social media, Hannah has managed the digital presence for many music organisations and artists including choral composer John Rutter. Her production credits include classical club nights and contemporary classical gigs in pubs for Nonclassical. Her alter ego is the Founder & CEO of London Flashmob, which sees her creating quirky pop-ups from wedding proposals to cultural pranks, including the London Undersound – a participatory audio adventure through the streets of Soho.
I’m a freelancer working across the UK with museums, libraries, galleries, theatres and heritage organisations.
With over eighteen years’ experience in the sector, I provide tactical and strategic support in:
– independent exploratory research and consultation
– marketing and communication
– audience development planning.
I’m also a qualified trainer and facilitator.
Previous clients include: National Trust, London Transport Museum, Manchester Art Gallery, More Music, Macclesfield Museums, Manchester International Festival, Rosehill Theatre, Royal Exchange Theatre, St Helens Libraries, Salford Libraries, Wirral Libraries, Leeds Libraries, Arts Council England, National Museums Liverpool plus many more.
Find new audiences, communicate with your most engaged visitors, grab attention for your projects. Tell everyone who you are and what you do.
Spark Arts Marketing & Project Management is run by Caz Slota, a freelance arts marketer with over 10 years of experience in the performing arts industry.
Whether you are looking for a partner for a long-term project or simply have a quick one-off piece of work, Spark can provide what you need. Services include:
o Marketing campaigns for shows, projects or venues
o Online & digital services – SEO, websites, social media, email communications
o Asset creation – Flyer, poster and brochure design, video editing, copywriting, online media production
o Strategy, planning and research – project administration, audience development, branding and other services with a wider scope
Experienced in assessing potential in arts organisations, creative businesses, charities and museums.
We work with organisations keen to increase income, build organisational strategy, practical plans and the teams, Boards and culture to achieve strategic goals. We have over 20 years experience of assessing, transforming and the developing arts organisations, Museums and creative businesses.
All our work is tailored to your needs whether it is a complete strategic review or a part of that process. We think holistically and focus to make sure you get the input and outcomes you need to achieve your goals.
Louise Emerson has created value in the cultural sector in Museums, Arts Centres, Festivals and Creative companies; all with different cultures and personalities – some small and some large – and at very different stages in their development. She is experienced at looking at the whole organisation and has experience in fundraising and membership, as well as, a wide range of commercial mechanisms, negotiation with partners, managing change and developing culture.
Income Generation audits
Strategic reviews and plans
New business identification & development
Board Development and Governance
Increasing team engagement; enhancing performance
Louise Emerson is also a Coach and Mentor working with individuals transiting to higher level positions, keen to figure out how to deal with particular relationships, building team performance, advancing an organisation through change and development, reshaping your future or simply wanting to make the most of what you have
take the current also unlocks the full potential that is inherent in your team so that you retain and motivate the most valuable resource you have – your people. Coaching is a powerful and enduring way to get the best from individuals. A period of Coaching can build insight, confidence and creativity which is particular important for new structures, change, promotion or role change, culture change, testing times and individual development. Louise has coached in Museums, Pharmaceutical Industry, BBC, Hospitality industry, Artists, Theatres and Charities.
As an experienced marketing and communications professional who has worked with and for a wide range of arts organisations spanning over 20 years, I challenge organisations to think about their approach to audiences from both the inside and out.
The significant success I have achieved in audience development and segmentation – Test Drive the Arts programme, a cutting edge Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and segmentation strategy: Audience Builder and many other ground-breaking audience development programmes many of which have been widely disseminated and copied across the UK and Europe – means I can draw on that experience to create bespoke, creative and strategic audience focused solutions that are effective and value for money.
My approach includes new technology consultancy and implementation project management providing the systems solutions to deliver organisational CRM strategies.
Since launching HD Consulting in 2010 I’ve worked on a whole range of interesting CRM, Marketing and Audience development projects including:
– a joint project with Morris Hargreaves Mcintyre to develop an audience insight, segmentation and CRM strategy for Shakespeare’s Globe.
– enabling the National Horse Race Museum to identify a fit-for-purpose and cost effective CRM system solution, ready for the opening of their new museum site whilst also meeting the wider needs of the organisation in terms of developing an overarching systems strategy. The aim was to address the integration of existing systems, provision of the right physical hard-wear (bar code scanners/mobile devices etc) to allow visitors entry to the museum, and the tools to undertake effective marketing, CRM and reporting analysis.
– leading and managing the Lancashire Classical Music Collaboration – a 2 year audience development programme to develop audiences for classical music in Lancashire – involving an Arts Council England funded partnership between the Halle orchestra, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic orchestra, Manchester Camerata, King George’s Hall Blackburn, The Muni in Colne and The Guildhall, Preston.
– Review, develop and create Customer Relationship Management (systems, strategy, case study) content for the AMA CultureHive website
– working with Welsh National Opera on an audience research project to investigate two key objectives from their marketing strategy a) retaining the core regular existing audience (and increase their frequency and risk taking as appropriate), b) reactivating inactive attenders. We conducted a series of focus groups and telephone interview with audiences from both their home venue, Wales Millenium Centre and several touring venues.
A Chartered Marketer with over 25 years of marketing experience in both the private and public sector, responsible for leading the all-Wales audience development and marketing team for museums, archives and libraries (2007-2017) developing a range of innovative campaigns and initiatives, significantly bucking the national UK trend in library memberships in 2012-13.
Presenter at various conferences including CILIP Cymru, Comms Cymru. Skilled at integrating national campaigns and marketing/advocacy with local corporate priorities, engaging varied stakeholders, developing new partnerships and spotting opportunities for collaborative working. Great at thinking outside the box and challenging the ‘always done it like that’ attitude.
Happy to work with people at all levels from volunteers to board members, delivering workshops or seminars and love working with new people!
With a wide range of skills and experience, I challenge organisations to consider the role the audience has to play in their success – and identify the changes needed to bring that about. I gained much of my experience working on the ‘client side’ within organisations. So in the arts, education, local authority or voluntary sectors, small-scale creative and tourism enterprises, I am well aware that every penny – and every person – has to count. But as an outsider I can also question accepted objectives and practices. I draw on evidence and my long experience of audience and visitor behaviour to bring imaginative, responsive – and realistically actionable – solutions to my wide range of clients across the UK.