Freelancer tag May 22nd, 2018Amy Firth
I’m a marketing and audience development consultant with more than a decade of marketing and events expertise. I specialise in working in the creative, arts, culture, heritage, tourism and sustainable sectors.
Previous experience includes:
• Developing and implementing marketing strategies and plans;
• Event management;
• Managing social media profiles and running campaigns;
• Copywriting and content marketing for websites, email newsletters, blogs, print and social media.
Current and previous clients include: Magdalen Road Studios, Creative Dementia Arts Network, The Beacon, Westmill Solar plus many more.
Experienced strategic consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, heritage and membership bodies, sector development and leadership networks.
I offer strategic advice, facilitation and coaching. Strengths include branding and all aspects of marketing communications; visitor engagement; capital & revenue fundraising; organisational development: governance, team building and leadership.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications operation and create a digital strategy
• a London museum to review and develop communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and develop Board governance
• two multi-arts centres, to build fundraising skills and to refresh branding
• a national digital agency to develop best practice guidelines
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop fundraising, marketing and branding, and make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• recruit senior posts for a university, two international festivals, a sector support agency, a contemporary gallery, a national theatre and orchestra
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials at my website
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Branding, Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery in Edinburgh.
My life in London included launching Tate Modern and the Natural History Museum’s first Darwin Centre. At National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.
The Experience Business will work with you to deliver more appealing, relevant and impactful audience experiences that return value back into the business in the forms of mission delivery, audience development and contributing to that all important bottom line.
I create dynamic environments that encourage you to think differently, generate ideas and explore possibility. The approach is human-centered, placing the audience at the heart of business practice through immersive Labs (1 to 5 days) that are facilitative, creative and engaging.
The Experience Business Toolbox is stuffed with proven methods to help you understand, conceive and design better services, exhibitions and programmes of work:
- Core Purpose Lab creates persuasive narratives that articulate the value you create for your audiences and communities. Clients include Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse, Creative Victoria and The City of Cape Town Department of Culture.
- Audience Experience Lab applies customer journey mapping to your customer experience in order to pin point where you are under-performing, supports the development of improvement programmes and explores the potential for new value creation. Clients include The Swiss Science Centre, Imperial War Museum North, Uppsala Stadsteater, Warwick Arts Centre, The Touring Network (Highlands and Islands) and Melbourne Arts Centre.
- Brand Experience Lab helps you translate your brand into vivid experiences that differentiate your offer, win hearts and minds and build brand trust. Clients include the National Football Museum and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Innovation Lab unsticks your thinking in a co-creational environment to surface bold new concepts and open up fresh horizons of possibility. Clients include The Geffrye Museum of the Home, Royal Exchange Theatre Manchester and Goldfield Arts Centre, Western Australia.
- Design Thinking Labs hone these concepts into services, exhibitions and experiences that deliver mutual value for you and your audiences/stakeholders. Clients include Australia Council for the Arts, Arts Marketing Association and the Federation of Scottish Theatres.
- ‘Make-athons’ turn your staff teams from service deliverers into the creative producers of the audience experience, dissolving silos and building ownership. Clients include West Yorkshire Playhouse, Tullie House Museum Carlisle and Rockhampton Art Gallery Queensland (Australia).
- Training programmes are designed to upskill staff teams to better understand and shape audience experiences. Topics include Observational Research, Customer Journey Mapping, Design Thinking, Creative Thinking and Running Focus Groups. Clients include the AMA, Audiences Northern Ireland, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Warwick Arts Centre and The Wordsworth Trust.
I am also available to facilitate Board Away Days and Staff Development Days on the themes of Core Purpose, Design Thinking, Brand and Audience Experience.
Since launching The Experience Business in 2012, I have worked on some amazing projects with forward thinking organisations that have taken a leap of faith into a new way of working. Examples include:
– a ground-breaking Audience Engagement Programme, using design thinking to co-create audience-centric initiatives in remote and regional Australia, funded through Australia Council for the Arts.
– design thinking consultant on the AMA Future Proof Museums programme working with 8 museums on developing their visitor experience.
– Audience Experience Programme at the Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse, incorporating customer journey mapping and design thinking, which increased on-line booking revenue generation and led to a successful re-positioning of the fundraising strategy.
– development of a Visitor Experience Framework and Evaluation Toolkit for ON FIFE Cultural Trust.
– together with The Touring Network (Highlands and Islands), applying design thinking to develop alternative models of devising new work and audience engagement initiatives for rural touring, funded through the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
– Visitor Experience Audit of the National Coalmining Museum which informed a successful £600k+ HLF bid to improve the visitor experience on site.
– working with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra to co-create a suite of three successful backstage tours. Demand now outstrips supply.
– professional development programme at Warwick Arts Centre designed to create an in-house team skilled in evaluating and improving the in-venue audience experience.
– Facilitator-in-residence at the City Recital Hall, Sydney, working intensively with staff for one week, applying customer journey mapping and experience design to re-imagine the in-venue experience.
My aim is to share and develop my knowledge as I listen to and respond to my clients.
I’ve had in-house roles at the Barbican, Natural History Museum, English Heritage and Southbank Centre where I specialised in membership, CRM and email marketing.
I can work with you and your team and organisation on any of the following areas:
Loyalty and membership
Working with clients to gain deeper understanding as to where or why they are gaining new customers. Solutions include:
• Review and audit existing membership schemes
• Advise about the potential for membership and loyalty schemes and work with clients to implement them
• Help identify loyal customers, and customers who have the potential to grow
• Improve and refine the range of member benefits
• Suggest ways to reward and surprise good customers
• Demonstrate the wider impact of members beyond their subscription value
Enhancing marketing performance and digital conversion
Helping clients unlock potential of existing customers by developing response driven communications:
• Work with organizations to demonstrate the marketing solutions are working to provide sustainable profitability
• Analyse campaign, social media, website and e-commerce performance
• Refine existing approaches or developing new strategies to generate new customers, followers, audiences and donors
• Set up testing opportunities including creative propositions, media and conversion online
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Loyal customers are the ultimate aim of most businesses and in this area potential solutions include:
• Recommend new approaches to create a thriving customer-focused cultured based on database insights
• Collaborative create CRM strategies, roadmaps and guidance
• Advise on the research and analysis options to gain deeper customer insights
• Establish or refine customer segmentation models
• Develop communications and campaigns based on customer needs
Training, coaching, mentoring and directorate/executive strategic support and recruitment
Busy managers and team members are supported to develop existing or new skills. Solutions include:
• Train teams or individuals on topics such as creative development, campaign strategy and evaluating performance
• Coach and mentoring individuals to enhance their management or marketing skills
• Support time-poor directors and senior executives with confidential advice and strategic guidance
• Draw up job descriptions, set tasks and be part of the interview process
Lucy is an accomplished marketer who combines top-notch strategic knowledge with practical, actionable marketing support. When we worked together at the Landmark Trust, Lucy provided valuable advice on direct and email marketing and website development.
Helen Hartstein, Head of Audience Development at The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Lucy’s experience in membership and loyalty scheme has helped Southbank Centre to dramatically grow its membership base as well as improve retention and renewal rates to levels in excess of 90%.
Chris Denton, Director of Communications, Southbank Centre
I reveal hidden income streams and dramatically energise engagement for arts and non-profit organisations. I do this in five main ways:
1) Acting as the matchmaker between marketing and fundraising to create new lines of income
2) Increasing global reach to develop audiences in new territories and bring new international new audiences to you
3) Increasing audience bravery, encouraging audiences to release their inner child and try something new
4) Increasing audience engagement, making audiences need you, not just want you
5) Project managing organisational change projects which combine audience and donor development, fundraising and market research.
I enable organisations to reach their potential through employing the best, most streamlined tactics possible. Working in this streamlined way places me as your navigator to lead the way, putting in the lion’s share of the work, to ensure that your journey from project start to project success is as effortless as possible.
Experienced in assessing potential in arts organisations, creative businesses, charities and museums.
We work with organisations keen to increase income, build organisational strategy, practical plans and the teams, Boards and culture to achieve strategic goals. We have over 20 years experience of assessing, transforming and the developing arts organisations, Museums and creative businesses.
All our work is tailored to your needs whether it is a complete strategic review or a part of that process. We think holistically and focus to make sure you get the input and outcomes you need to achieve your goals.
Louise Emerson has created value in the cultural sector in Museums, Arts Centres, Festivals and Creative companies; all with different cultures and personalities – some small and some large – and at very different stages in their development. She is experienced at looking at the whole organisation and has experience in fundraising and membership, as well as, a wide range of commercial mechanisms, negotiation with partners, managing change and developing culture.
Income Generation audits
Strategic reviews and plans
New business identification & development
Board Development and Governance
Increasing team engagement; enhancing performance
Louise Emerson is also a Coach and Mentor working with individuals transiting to higher level positions, keen to figure out how to deal with particular relationships, building team performance, advancing an organisation through change and development, reshaping your future or simply wanting to make the most of what you have
take the current also unlocks the full potential that is inherent in your team so that you retain and motivate the most valuable resource you have – your people. Coaching is a powerful and enduring way to get the best from individuals. A period of Coaching can build insight, confidence and creativity which is particular important for new structures, change, promotion or role change, culture change, testing times and individual development. Louise has coached in Museums, Pharmaceutical Industry, BBC, Hospitality industry, Artists, Theatres and Charities.
With a wide range of skills and experience, I challenge organisations to consider the role the audience has to play in their success – and identify the changes needed to bring that about. I gained much of my experience working on the ‘client side’ within organisations. So in the arts, education, local authority or voluntary sectors, small-scale creative and tourism enterprises, I am well aware that every penny – and every person – has to count. But as an outsider I can also question accepted objectives and practices. I draw on evidence and my long experience of audience and visitor behaviour to bring imaginative, responsive – and realistically actionable – solutions to my wide range of clients across the UK.
Jonny Tull works with arts and culture organisations and film practitioners around the world providing support for marketing, fundraising, film exhibition and distribution projects.
Former film programmer and lead on marketing for Newcastle upon Tyne’s Tyneside Cinema. Jonny was part of the leadership team that delivered two major capital development projects, increasing the venue’s visitors to over 500,000 per year and ticket sales to almost 200,000 per year.