Freelancer tag May 22nd, 2018Amy Firth
I have a ‘holistic’ approach to marketing, which integrates operational (i.e. day-to-day) with strategic marketing. I believe this helps clients identify a clear mission statement to provide strategic vision and direction, alongside practical and achievable goals and objectives as short-term measures to ultimately achieve overall aims.
As an Arts Marketing Specialist, I feel passionately about helping cultural organisations tell their story and reach out to their stakeholders, whether audiences, peers, funders, supporters or corporate sponsors.
Experienced independent consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, historic houses, membership bodies and sector development networks.
Particular strengths include strategy and team development; visioning and brand building; all aspects of marketing communications and visitor engagement; capital and revenue fundraising; culture change, governance and leadership development.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications team and operations, create a digital strategy and recruit a director
• a London museum to review and develop its communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and to develop its Board governance
• a multi-arts centre to build fundraising skills and capacity
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop its fundraising, marketing and branding, and to make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• a university, international festival and national orchestra to recruit senior posts
• a sector support agency to recruit a chief executive and multiple Board members
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials by visiting my LinkedIn profile
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery.
In London I worked on the launch of Tate Modern and the first Darwin Centre, and as External Relations Director for National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.
I have over 10 years of events marketing and communications experience, working on small-scale cultural programmes to global sporting events. I have experience of, and can support with:
- Bid writing – supporting bids to host events and funding applications
- Strategy planning and delivery
- Audience development – identifying target audiences and developing engagement plans
- Brand and creative development – working with a range of creative agencies from briefing to completition
- Media planning and delivery – working directly with media platforms and with media buying agencies to develop and deliver effective paid campaigns for events
- City dressing and event branding
- Social media and content development
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Stakeholder management
- Crisis comms
Before going freelance, I worked for 10 years at NewcastleGateshead Initiative, the destination marketing agency for Newcastle and Gateshead. During this time I was lucky to work on a varied events programme including high profile sporting events such as Rugby World Cup and Olympics (and their associated cultural programme). I was also involved in the bidding for and marketing of Great Exhibition of the North – a one-off event devised by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and with our own culture team to develop and market our annual programme of events.
My passion is events, and like nothing more than being in delivery mode at an event and seeing all of your planning and hardwork come to fruition.
Using experience gained from a range of arts and cultural organisations I can offer a number of services to support your project including:
Strategy planning and support – Social media coordination – Copywriting and content creation – Audience development
Please contact me to start a conversation about how we can work together.
The world is overflowing with content and your business has to make its voice heard to the relevant audiences. What should it look and sound like? Should you be spending time writing blogs and taking photos for Instagram? Where on earth do you start with a print publication?
I build content and publishing strategies, and digital user experiences in the arts and creative industries. I provide a trusted opinion, helping organisations to understand how their audiences engage with the content and messages they put out. It’s based on a thoughtful approach to platforms, media and the way we all work together.
I ran the publishing and digital operation for the BBC Proms for many years, and have run marketing campaigns in the events space for organisations including the Royal College of Music, Creative United and TEDxLondon.
A seasoned freelancer of 11 years and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, my consultancy work has attracted the following clients in recent years: Barbican, Battersea Arts Centre, Bristol Old Vic, Cause4, CREATE, Headlong, Hofesh Shechter Company, Kneehigh, Nuffield Theatre, Old Vic Theatre, Regents Park Open Air Theatre and Spektrix. I cover a range of areas including, but not limited to: campaign strategy and implementation, stakeholder engagement, branding, audience development, end-to-end project management (e.g. websites, membership), marketing and comms audits and copywriting.
From 2007-2011 I was Head of Communications at the Royal Court in London under the artistic directorship of Dominic Cooke, launching more than 80 new plays on an unsuspecting public. In addition, I also worked on the West End transfers of Clybourne Park, Jerusalem, ENRON, That Face and Rock n Roll.
Prior to this, I was a freelance marketing and press consultant for a diverse range of art forms including theatre, contemporary dance, comedy and music. My earlier roles include Marketing Account Manager at Ambassador Theatre Group in London and Account Manager at Feref Associates, a design agency.
I am also a professional coach, mentor and trainer.
As an avid believer in life-long learning, I undertake an ongoing programme of professional and personal development, focussing in particular on leadership and change management. Recent courses include: Effective Fundraising and Leadership in the Cultural Sector, Digital Skills for Fundraisers, Be A Trustee, Digital and Social media strategy, Small Business Big Results.
I am a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing and a member of the Arts Marketing Association. I recently became a Trustee of Sister System, a charity which delivers a year-long mentoring and development programme for teenage girls from looked-after care.
‘I have worked with Kym for many years, through Headlong and Hofesh Shechter Company. She is an extraordinarily effective member of any team: tenacious, dynamic and clear-sighted. I would wholeheartedly recommend her.’
Henny Finch, Executive Producer, Donmar Warehouse
‘Kym joined Bristol Old Vic as Communications Director cover. She designed and delivered the campaign that gave us our highest profile and biggest box office yield to date, and was a great team leader and valued Senior Management strategist. She hit the ground at top speed and stayed there.’
Emma Stenning, outgoing Executive Director, Bristol Old Vic
‘ACT engaged Kym for six months because we believed there were more actor-parents we could reach who needed support. More? An understatement! Kym enabled the charity to double its grants to families and forged new and lasting contacts. She listened to our aims, grasped our values and developed a strategy for ACT that was far-reaching, while being focused and achievable. No jargon, no long meetings. Simply: results.’
Robert Ashby, Executive Director
The Experience Business will work with you to deliver more appealing, relevant and impactful audience experiences that return value back into the business in the forms of mission delivery, audience development and contributing to that all important bottom line.
I create dynamic environments that encourage you to think differently, generate ideas and explore possibility. The approach is human-centered, placing the audience at the heart of business practice through immersive Labs (1 to 5 days) that are facilitative, creative and engaging.
The Experience Business Toolbox is stuffed with proven methods to help you understand, conceive and design better services, exhibitions and programmes of work:
- Core Purpose Lab creates persuasive narratives that articulate the value you create for your audiences and communities. Clients include Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse, Creative Victoria and The City of Cape Town Department of Culture.
- Audience Experience Lab applies customer journey mapping to your customer experience in order to pin point where you are under-performing, supports the development of improvement programmes and explores the potential for new value creation. Clients include The Swiss Science Centre, Imperial War Museum North, Uppsala Stadsteater, Warwick Arts Centre, The Touring Network (Highlands and Islands) and Melbourne Arts Centre.
- Brand Experience Lab helps you translate your brand into vivid experiences that differentiate your offer, win hearts and minds and build brand trust. Clients include the National Football Museum and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Innovation Lab unsticks your thinking in a co-creational environment to surface bold new concepts and open up fresh horizons of possibility. Clients include The Geffrye Museum of the Home, Royal Exchange Theatre Manchester and Goldfield Arts Centre, Western Australia.
- Design Thinking Labs hone these concepts into services, exhibitions and experiences that deliver mutual value for you and your audiences/stakeholders. Clients include Australia Council for the Arts, Arts Marketing Association and the Federation of Scottish Theatres.
- ‘Make-athons’ turn your staff teams from service deliverers into the creative producers of the audience experience, dissolving silos and building ownership. Clients include West Yorkshire Playhouse, Tullie House Museum Carlisle and Rockhampton Art Gallery Queensland (Australia).
- Training programmes are designed to upskill staff teams to better understand and shape audience experiences. Topics include Observational Research, Customer Journey Mapping, Design Thinking, Creative Thinking and Running Focus Groups. Clients include the AMA, Audiences Northern Ireland, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Warwick Arts Centre and The Wordsworth Trust.
I am also available to facilitate Board Away Days and Staff Development Days on the themes of Core Purpose, Design Thinking, Brand and Audience Experience.
Since launching The Experience Business in 2012, I have worked on some amazing projects with forward thinking organisations that have taken a leap of faith into a new way of working. Examples include:
– a ground-breaking Audience Engagement Programme, using design thinking to co-create audience-centric initiatives in remote and regional Australia, funded through Australia Council for the Arts.
– design thinking consultant on the AMA Future Proof Museums programme working with 8 museums on developing their visitor experience.
– Audience Experience Programme at the Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse, incorporating customer journey mapping and design thinking, which increased on-line booking revenue generation and led to a successful re-positioning of the fundraising strategy.
– development of a Visitor Experience Framework and Evaluation Toolkit for ON FIFE Cultural Trust.
– together with The Touring Network (Highlands and Islands), applying design thinking to develop alternative models of devising new work and audience engagement initiatives for rural touring, funded through the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
– Visitor Experience Audit of the National Coalmining Museum which informed a successful £600k+ HLF bid to improve the visitor experience on site.
– working with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra to co-create a suite of three successful backstage tours. Demand now outstrips supply.
– professional development programme at Warwick Arts Centre designed to create an in-house team skilled in evaluating and improving the in-venue audience experience.
– Facilitator-in-residence at the City Recital Hall, Sydney, working intensively with staff for one week, applying customer journey mapping and experience design to re-imagine the in-venue experience.
I am a freelance arts marketing consultant with over 15 years experience working in the industry. Prior to becoming freelance, I spent 12 years at Sadler’s Wells where I lead the marketing for the venue’s in house productions on tour both nationally and internationally. I was also marketing lead on two strategic tours for Breakin’ Convention, and for the National Youth Dance Company.
Areas of specialism include but are not limited to:
– Marketing planning for touring
– Venue liaison
– Digital campaigns
– Website briefing
– Design and print experience (including brochures and programmes)
– Marketing consultation
Current and past freelance clients include:
Aakash Odedra Company
Joss Arnott Dance (Emergence)
Nikki & JD
Pavilion Dance South West
Remarkable Productions (for Croydon International Mela and London Mela)
Surf the Wave
I am a trustee on the board of Hornsey Town Hall Trust, a buildings conservation trust set up to help secure a future of the iconic north London building.
In my spare time, I am a keen amateur photographer and member of Muswell Hill Photographic Society where I hold the position of Co-President.
Hannah has experience working with venues, composers, choirs, orchestras, musicians and music charities, leading creative marketing campaigns for numerous concerts outside of traditional spaces, including warehouses, pubs, clubs, museums, hospitals and prisons.
Specialising in social media, Hannah has managed the digital presence for many music organisations and artists including choral composer John Rutter. Her production credits include classical club nights and contemporary classical gigs in pubs for Nonclassical. Her alter ego is the Founder & CEO of London Flashmob, which sees her creating quirky pop-ups from wedding proposals to cultural pranks, including the London Undersound – a participatory audio adventure through the streets of Soho.
A Chartered Marketer with over 25 years of marketing experience in both the private and public sector, responsible for leading the all-Wales audience development and marketing team for museums, archives and libraries (2007-2017) developing a range of innovative campaigns and initiatives, significantly bucking the national UK trend in library memberships in 2012-13.
Presenter at various conferences including CILIP Cymru, Comms Cymru. Skilled at integrating national campaigns and marketing/advocacy with local corporate priorities, engaging varied stakeholders, developing new partnerships and spotting opportunities for collaborative working. Great at thinking outside the box and challenging the ‘always done it like that’ attitude.
Happy to work with people at all levels from volunteers to board members, delivering workshops or seminars and love working with new people!
Jonny Tull works with arts and culture organisations and film practitioners around the world providing support for marketing, fundraising, film exhibition and distribution projects.
Former film programmer and lead on marketing for Newcastle upon Tyne’s Tyneside Cinema. Jonny was part of the leadership team that delivered two major capital development projects, increasing the venue’s visitors to over 500,000 per year and ticket sales to almost 200,000 per year.
I have been freelance since leaving my post as Strategic Arts Officer for City of Lincoln Council in 2009, and have been working in the arts sector for over 20 years.
Since becoming freelance I have worked with a range of clients and managed my own projects, including Festival programming – Newark Book Festival (Artistic Director), Lincoln Dances, Wolds Words; Fundraising as part of the Arts Council Catalyst Programme for Lincoln Drill Hall, soundLINCS and Kazzum Theatre; Project Manager for music composition projects with Firebird Trust; Audience Development and Evaluation for SO Festival, Evaluations and Marketing and Fundraising Strategies for various clients across the UK.
I am especially interested in connected marketing and fundraising programmes.