Freelancer tag May 22nd, 2018Amy Firth
I’m a marketing and audience development consultant with more than a decade of marketing and events expertise. I specialise in working in the creative, arts, culture, heritage, tourism and sustainable sectors.
Previous experience includes:
• Developing and implementing marketing strategies and plans;
• Event management;
• Managing social media profiles and running campaigns;
• Copywriting and content marketing for websites, email newsletters, blogs, print and social media.
Current and previous clients include: Magdalen Road Studios, Creative Dementia Arts Network, The Beacon, Westmill Solar plus many more.
With over 10 years experience working in the industry, I was lucky to be part of the team that delivered the biggest party in 2017: Hull, UK City of Culture.
Promoting 2,000 events, across 250+ venues across the city, I headed up the marketing team which were tasked with building a successful audience development plan and securing 1million extra visitors to Hull during the year of 2017, a figure which was exceeded beyond expectations.
Since my time at Hull UK City of Culture, I have built a successful freelance marketing business – working with predominantly Yorkshire based arts and cultural organisations, festivals and NPOs.
My specialisms include:
– Audience development strategy
– Campaign planning and management
– Brand management
– Marketing management support (in-house if required)
– Communication strategy
– Design, print and production management
– Media planning and evaluation
– Budget management
– Focus groups and evaluation
I love working collaboratively with organisations, building long-term relationships with clients and helping people tell their stories. through campaigns, emails, case studies, film scripts, blogs and features articles.
Charity and education organisations I’ve worked with include: Ministry of Stories, King’s College London, Ed Coms, Into Film, Anthony Nolan, Smile Train, The Outward Bound Trust, Evelina London Children’s Hospital, Guy’s Cancer and British Heart Foundation.
My arts and culture writing has been published in Read Me (Girls on Tops), Live For Films, Walloh, London Cheapo and Village Raw.
Some nice things my clients have said:
“Becky has produced a range of interesting and innovative educational resources for us that meet the needs of the specified audience. Her attention to detail is excellent and is reflected in the quality of her work”.
Adwoa Oforiwa, CPD/ Resources Manager, Into Film
“Becky is a multi-faceted, highly talented writer and reliable team member. She continuously brings her A-game to meetings in terms of preparedness and creativity—her ideas/pitches often make it to the top of our editorial list.”
Adriana Paradiso, Editor-In-Chief Fast Train Ltd
“Becky is thorough, inventive, pragmatic and articulate. Working with her on our web project was straightforward and enjoyable. We couldn’t have placed our words in safer hands.”
John Perlmutter, Creative Director, Earth
Experienced independent consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, historic houses, membership bodies and sector development networks.
Particular strengths include strategy and team development; visioning and brand building; all aspects of marketing communications and visitor engagement; capital and revenue fundraising; culture change, governance and leadership development.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications team and operations, create a digital strategy and recruit a director
• a London museum to review and develop its communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and to develop its Board governance
• a multi-arts centre to build fundraising skills and capacity
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop its fundraising, marketing and branding, and to make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• a university, international festival and national orchestra to recruit senior posts
• a sector support agency to recruit a chief executive and multiple Board members
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials by visiting my LinkedIn profile
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery.
In London I worked on the launch of Tate Modern and the first Darwin Centre, and as External Relations Director for National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.
As a strategic freelance marketing consultant I bring a fresh pair of eyes to your marketing and communications activity. Refresh your marketing with best practice from inside and outside the sector to make sure you get the most out of your marketing.
I can help you with:
* Marketing audit – find out what is working and what isn’t
* Marketing strategies for new or existing offers – find the right people at the right time with the right message
* Brand development – including visual identity, brand positioning and tone of voice
* Marketing campaign planning – ensuring you get the best ROI for your comms
* Digital marketing – set up and best practice for digital marketing channels including AdWords and social media
* Website projects – project management and delivery
* Marketing asset creation – delivery of designs, print, video, email etc through my trusted partners
* Training and coaching – develop your in-house team with bespoke training and support
As a Chartered Marketer, Fellow of the CIM and University Marketing Tutor I have over 20 years of experience in services marketing. I take a collaborative approach to projects ensuring that your in-house team are bought into the new approach. Having worked with large and very small budgets I enjoy finding creative solutions that are low-cost and effective at reaching your target audiences.
My experience includes theatres, tourist attractions, educational programmes, conference venues and community engagement programmes, as well as commercial marketing roles.
I’m based in Nottingham but can work virtually for organisations across the UK.
Get in touch for a chat to see if we’re a good fit.
Using experience gained from a range of arts and cultural organisations I can offer a number of services to support your project including:
Strategy planning and support – Social media coordination – Copywriting and content creation – Audience development
Please contact me to start a conversation about how we can work together.
I provide bespoke, evidence-driven interpersonal communications consultancy, appraisals, and training—
with the aim of improving organisational well-being.
Services include (but are not restricted to) text-analytic assessments of the psychometric properties of internal and external communications material; face-to-face appraisals of communicative style; tailored, strategic solutions to specific communications challenges; team dynamics reviews and strengths identification; and bespoke training in negotiation, persuasion, influence, compliance, conflict resolution, and staff well-being.
A seasoned freelancer of 12 years and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, my consultancy work has attracted the following clients in recent years: Barbican, Battersea Arts Centre, Boulevard Theatre, Bristol Old Vic, Cause4, CREATE, Headlong, Hofesh Shechter, Kneehigh, Nuffield Theatre, Old Vic Theatre, Regents Park Open Air Theatre, Spektrix and Tramshed. I cover a range of areas including, but not limited to: campaign strategy and implementation, branding, audience development, project management (e.g. websites, membership), marketing and comms audits and copywriting. I also deliver workshops on marketing and branding.
From 2007-2011 I was Head of Communications at the Royal Court in London under the artistic directorship of Dominic Cooke, launching more than 80 new plays on an unsuspecting public. In addition, I worked on the West End transfers of Clybourne Park, Jerusalem, ENRON, That Face and Rock n Roll.
Prior to this, I was a freelance marketing and press consultant for a diverse range of art forms including theatre, contemporary dance, comedy and music. My earlier roles include Marketing Account Manager at Ambassador Theatre Group in London and Account Manager at Feref Associates, a design agency.
As a professional Coach and Mentor, I work with middle and senior leaders in the cultural sector to help them achieve their personal and organisational goals.
As an avid believer in life-long learning, I undertake an ongoing programme of professional and personal development, focussing in particular on leadership and change management. Recent courses include: Fundraising and Leadership, Be A Trustee, Digital and Social media strategy, Small Business Big Results.
I am a Trustee of Sister System, a charity which delivers a year-long mentoring and development programme for teenage girls from looked-after care and part of the freelance collective www.makesthree.org
‘I have worked with Kym for many years, through Headlong and Hofesh Shechter Company. She is an extraordinarily effective member of any team: tenacious, dynamic and clear-sighted. I would wholeheartedly recommend her.’
Henny Finch, Executive Producer, Donmar Warehouse
‘Kym joined Bristol Old Vic as Communications Director cover. She designed and delivered the campaign that gave us our highest profile and biggest box office yield to date, and was a great team leader and valued Senior Management strategist. She hit the ground at top speed and stayed there.’
Emma Stenning, Executive Director, Bristol Old Vic
‘ACT engaged Kym for six months because we believed there were more actor-parents we could reach who needed support. More? An understatement! Kym enabled the charity to double its grants to families and forged new and lasting contacts. She listened to our aims, grasped our values and developed a strategy for ACT that was far-reaching, while being focused and achievable. No jargon, no long meetings. Simply: results.’
Robert Ashby, Executive Director
From project managing a new website to producing a full communications strategy, implementing GDPR and digital media, I have a wealth of experiences to offer companies wishing to strengthen brand awareness, build audiences and deliver their work to a high standard through all channels.
I have worked with small to medium sized arts organisations to support their PR and Marketing needs to raise their profile and be heard. I pride myself on my working relationships being open, trusting and warm. I believe in supporting my clients so that their messages cut through the noise.
I can support you in the following ways:
Strategic PR and Marketing planning
Website Development: from start to finish project management
Digital/Social Media Marketing
Database & Budget Management
Data & Evaluation
Internal & Partners comms
PR and Publicity
CMS and Intranet experienced
Print and Distribution
What people say about me:
“Thank you Binita. Feel like I am throwing a ball and you keep catching it.” Rebecca, Entelechy Arts
“Thank goodness for an on the ball PR” Dionne Kennedy from the Big Issue.
I have achieved much over the last few years, and am now keen to support others in their endeavours, to help them reach their full potential.
If you are looking for someone to strategise, plan or implement marketing communications and audience development work, then please get in touch.
Here’s some areas I could help with:
– Branding/visual identity
– Strategy (marketing & audience development)
– Change management
– Communications & social media content integration
– Audience development / customer acquisition & retention
– Data analysis & insight
– Fundraising communications
I am results-oriented, and would love to talk to you about how to make your life easier and your marketing communications more effective. Although I’m based in East Kent, I love to see the world, and can travel.
For some of my blog posts and case studies, please check out my LinkedIn profile — link below.
My aim is to share and develop my knowledge as I listen to and respond to my clients.
I’ve had in-house roles at the Barbican, Natural History Museum, English Heritage and Southbank Centre where I specialised in membership, CRM and email marketing.
I can work with you and your team and organisation on any of the following areas:
Loyalty and membership
Working with clients to gain deeper understanding as to where or why they are gaining new customers. Solutions include:
• Review and audit existing membership schemes
• Advise about the potential for membership and loyalty schemes and work with clients to implement them
• Help identify loyal customers, and customers who have the potential to grow
• Improve and refine the range of member benefits
• Suggest ways to reward and surprise good customers
• Demonstrate the wider impact of members beyond their subscription value
Enhancing marketing performance and digital conversion
Helping clients unlock potential of existing customers by developing response driven communications:
• Work with organizations to demonstrate the marketing solutions are working to provide sustainable profitability
• Analyse campaign, social media, website and e-commerce performance
• Refine existing approaches or developing new strategies to generate new customers, followers, audiences and donors
• Set up testing opportunities including creative propositions, media and conversion online
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Loyal customers are the ultimate aim of most businesses and in this area potential solutions include:
• Recommend new approaches to create a thriving customer-focused cultured based on database insights
• Collaborative create CRM strategies, roadmaps and guidance
• Advise on the research and analysis options to gain deeper customer insights
• Establish or refine customer segmentation models
• Develop communications and campaigns based on customer needs
Training, coaching, mentoring and directorate/executive strategic support and recruitment
Busy managers and team members are supported to develop existing or new skills. Solutions include:
• Train teams or individuals on topics such as creative development, campaign strategy and evaluating performance
• Coach and mentoring individuals to enhance their management or marketing skills
• Support time-poor directors and senior executives with confidential advice and strategic guidance
• Draw up job descriptions, set tasks and be part of the interview process
Lucy is an accomplished marketer who combines top-notch strategic knowledge with practical, actionable marketing support. When we worked together at the Landmark Trust, Lucy provided valuable advice on direct and email marketing and website development.
Helen Hartstein, Head of Audience Development at The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Lucy’s experience in membership and loyalty scheme has helped Southbank Centre to dramatically grow its membership base as well as improve retention and renewal rates to levels in excess of 90%.
Chris Denton, Director of Communications, Southbank Centre
I reveal hidden income streams and dramatically energise engagement for arts and non-profit organisations. I do this in five main ways:
1) Acting as the matchmaker between marketing and fundraising to create new lines of income
2) Increasing global reach to develop audiences in new territories and bring new international new audiences to you
3) Increasing audience bravery, encouraging audiences to release their inner child and try something new
4) Increasing audience engagement, making audiences need you, not just want you
5) Project managing organisational change projects which combine audience and donor development, fundraising and market research.
I enable organisations to reach their potential through employing the best, most streamlined tactics possible. Working in this streamlined way places me as your navigator to lead the way, putting in the lion’s share of the work, to ensure that your journey from project start to project success is as effortless as possible.
I am a freelance arts marketing consultant with over 15 years experience working in the industry. Prior to becoming freelance, I spent 12 years at Sadler’s Wells where I lead the marketing for the venue’s in house productions on tour both nationally and internationally. I was also marketing lead on two strategic tours for Breakin’ Convention, and for the National Youth Dance Company.
Areas of specialism include but are not limited to:
– Marketing planning for touring
– Venue liaison
– Digital campaigns
– Website briefing
– Design and print experience (including brochures and programmes)
– Marketing consultation
Current and past freelance clients include:
Aakash Odedra Company
Joss Arnott Dance (Emergence)
Nikki & JD
Pavilion Dance South West
Remarkable Productions (for Croydon International Mela and London Mela)
Surf the Wave
I am a trustee on the board of Hornsey Town Hall Trust, a buildings conservation trust set up to help secure a future of the iconic north London building.
In my spare time, I am a keen amateur photographer and member of Muswell Hill Photographic Society where I hold the position of Co-President.
Hannah has experience working with venues, composers, choirs, orchestras, musicians and music charities, leading creative marketing campaigns for numerous concerts outside of traditional spaces, including warehouses, pubs, clubs, museums, hospitals and prisons.
Specialising in social media, Hannah has managed the digital presence for many music organisations and artists including choral composer John Rutter. Her production credits include classical club nights and contemporary classical gigs in pubs for Nonclassical. Her alter ego is the Founder & CEO of London Flashmob, which sees her creating quirky pop-ups from wedding proposals to cultural pranks, including the London Undersound – a participatory audio adventure through the streets of Soho.
I’m a freelancer working across the UK with museums, libraries, galleries, theatres and heritage organisations.
With over eighteen years’ experience in the sector, I provide tactical and strategic support in:
– independent exploratory research and consultation
– marketing and communication
– audience development planning.
I’m also a qualified trainer and facilitator.
Previous clients include: National Trust, London Transport Museum, Manchester Art Gallery, More Music, Macclesfield Museums, Manchester International Festival, Rosehill Theatre, Royal Exchange Theatre, St Helens Libraries, Salford Libraries, Wirral Libraries, Leeds Libraries, Arts Council England, National Museums Liverpool plus many more.
Find new audiences, communicate with your most engaged visitors, grab attention for your projects. Tell everyone who you are and what you do.
Spark Arts Marketing & Project Management is run by Caz Slota, a freelance arts marketer with over 10 years of experience in the performing arts industry.
Whether you are looking for a partner for a long-term project or simply have a quick one-off piece of work, Spark can provide what you need. Services include:
o Marketing campaigns for shows, projects or venues
o Online & digital services – SEO, websites, social media, email communications
o Asset creation – Flyer, poster and brochure design, video editing, copywriting, online media production
o Strategy, planning and research – project administration, audience development, branding and other services with a wider scope
Having graduated in 2009 with a Theatre & Performances Studies degree from the University of Warwick, my passion for the arts took me to a role as Marketing Officer for the Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds in 2010, leaving in 2015 as Head of Department. From 2015 – 2016 I worked for Tara Arts and managed the marketing, sales and branding strategy for the reopening of the new Tara Theatre.
Since November 2016, I have been working as a freelance Arts Marketing consultant and manager on strategy development, tour marketing, branding and digital strategy and implementation for producing companies. Currently working as Communications Manager for the Original Theatre Company and HOME Slough with projects for Cahoots Theatre Company, The Production Exchange, Park Theatre, Southwark Playhouse and The Other Palace. Emma also runs the marketing module for the MA in Creative Producing at Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts with course leader Chris Grady.
Over the last 8 years Emma has worked on 10 national tours including Mansfield Park (Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds); Three Men In A Boat, Invincible, Monogamy (Original Theatre Company, 2015, 2016 & Brits Off Broadway); The Diary of a Hounslow Girl, Hamlet (Black Theatre Live); Emma (The Production Exchange) as well as London runs Paradise of the Assassins (Tara Arts); The Roundabout, Deny, Deny, Deny, Twitstorm, Twilight Song (Cahoots Theatre Company/Park Theatre); Hamlet (Gyles Brandreth), Secondary Victim, There or Here, Schism, Beruit, Peter Pan (Park Theatre), Bananaman (Southwark Playhouse), Ghost About The House (Kings Head Theatre) For King and Country (Southwark Playhouse) and Murder For Two (The Other Palace).
Freelance Marketing and Digital Professional with over 13 years’ experience working within the arts, culture and non-profit sectors.
I specialise in digital marketing strategy and campaign delivery. Prior to becoming freelance I spent 9 years working at the Royal Shakespeare Company where I established and developed the organisation’s strong social media presence across all platforms, led on email marketing strategy and worked across range of digital projects and marketing campaigns. I’ve also worked extensively on membership scheme recruitment and retention campaigns, high profile season launches, marketing campaigns for national and international live cinema broadcast and social media management for large scale events.
Based in the Midlands, my recent clients include City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, THSH (Town Hall Symphony Hall), Sense, Arts Marketing Association, C&T, Tonica CRM & Insight, Earthen Lamp and University of Warwick.
I am an experienced user of Tessitura (CRM and Box Office) and Wordfly (email marketing) as well as a range of content management systems, including WordPress. I was awarded the CIM Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing in September 2011.
Services I offer include:
– Marketing campaign management and delivery
– Social media strategy and delivery, including paid targeted advertising
– Google Adwords consultancy and account management for both search and display advertising
– Email marketing strategy and delivery
– Digital Health Checks
– Website and social media analytics
– Copywriting for online platforms and printed materials
– Communications co-ordination for complex, multi-partner projects
– Devising and delivering marketing and digital communications training and seminars for professionals, students and young people
Made by Marketing offers freelance marketing consultancy to cultural organisations, museums and visitor destinations.
– brand identity development
– marketing strategy
– marketing implementation (e.g. copywriting, managing web site design & build/ print, social etc)
– facilitating workshops to help clients’ overcome marketing challenges (e.g. from identifying brand values to generating fresh ideas)
My pure passion, 22 years of experience and flexible approach provide clients with practical, creative marketing support that delivers. I love working in the cultural sector and helping clients communicate more effectively in order to reach their objectives.
Current and recent clients include: Royal Society of Sculptors, British Museum, Visit Cornwall, youth music charity NYMAZ and a European-funded project for the county councils of Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. I previously led the consortium responsible for marketing South Bank, London, as a destination.
I am a member of the Arts Marketing Association and Association of Independent Museums.
A Chartered Marketer with over 25 years of marketing experience in both the private and public sector, responsible for leading the all-Wales audience development and marketing team for museums, archives and libraries (2007-2017) developing a range of innovative campaigns and initiatives, significantly bucking the national UK trend in library memberships in 2012-13.
Presenter at various conferences including CILIP Cymru, Comms Cymru. Skilled at integrating national campaigns and marketing/advocacy with local corporate priorities, engaging varied stakeholders, developing new partnerships and spotting opportunities for collaborative working. Great at thinking outside the box and challenging the ‘always done it like that’ attitude.
Happy to work with people at all levels from volunteers to board members, delivering workshops or seminars and love working with new people!