Freelancer tag May 22nd, 2018Amy Firth
I have been working in arts, cultural and events marketing for over 20 years.
I trained as a journalist at University of Wales, Cardiff while working for a number of regional newspapers and radio stations. While working as a radio presenter and news reporter I got my first taste of promotions and marketing.
Since then I have gained a Professional Diploma from Chartered Institute of Marketing and have worked with local authorities, independent, charity and cultural organisations including:
Neath Port Talbot Council Cultural Services
Blaenau Gwent Council Leisure Services
Marketing Manager at Sherman Theatre
Marketing Director at National Dance Company Wales.
I’ve also supported marketing campaigns as a freelancer for:
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Beyond the Border International Storytelling Festival.
International Women’s Day 2017 Wales.
Chwarae Teg – Womenspire 2017
Papertail Theatre Company
Suzanne is passionate about marketing, arts and culture and is on the board for Papertrail Theatre Company.
I’m a marketing and audience development consultant with more than a decade of marketing and events expertise. I specialise in working in the creative, arts, culture, heritage, tourism and sustainable sectors.
Previous experience includes:
• Developing and implementing marketing strategies and plans;
• Event management;
• Managing social media profiles and running campaigns;
• Copywriting and content marketing for websites, email newsletters, blogs, print and social media.
Current and previous clients include: Magdalen Road Studios, Creative Dementia Arts Network, The Beacon, Westmill Solar plus many more.
With over 10 years experience working in the industry, I was lucky to be part of the team that delivered the biggest party in 2017: Hull, UK City of Culture.
Promoting 2,000 events, across 250+ venues across the city, I headed up the marketing team which were tasked with building a successful audience development plan and securing 1million extra visitors to Hull during the year of 2017, a figure which was exceeded beyond expectations.
Since my time at Hull UK City of Culture, I have built a successful freelance marketing business – working with predominantly Yorkshire based arts and cultural organisations, festivals and NPOs.
My specialisms include:
– Audience development strategy
– Campaign planning and management
– Brand management
– Marketing management support (in-house if required)
– Communication strategy
– Design, print and production management
– Media planning and evaluation
– Budget management
– Focus groups and evaluation
Experienced strategic consultant and leader in culture and heritage, with in-house Board and Director-level experience at major UK organisations, including Tate, Natural History Museum, National Theatre, National Museums Scotland and Craft Scotland.
I am based near Edinburgh and work across the UK supporting all types of culture and heritage organisations, including visual and performing arts companies, national and regional museums and galleries, heritage and membership bodies, sector development and leadership networks.
I offer strategic advice, facilitation and coaching. Strengths include branding and all aspects of marketing communications; visitor engagement; capital & revenue fundraising; organisational development: governance, team building and leadership.
I have helped:
• a national theatre to review and develop its communications operation and create a digital strategy
• a London museum to review and develop communications in advance of a major capital development
• a historic house & gardens to improve visitor engagement, and develop Board governance
• two multi-arts centres, to build fundraising skills and to refresh branding
• a national digital agency to develop best practice guidelines
• a leading contemporary gallery to develop fundraising, marketing and branding, and make an HLF application
• a membership organisation with strategy for profile, programming and funding
• recruit senior posts for a university, two international festivals, a sector support agency, a contemporary gallery, a national theatre and orchestra
• the Director & Board of a sector development agency to review vision and strategy
• a theatre with creative ideas for daytime visiting and heritage interpretation
• a local authority to develop a marketing strategy and branding for a planned new museum
• Chairs and Trustees to review governance and support fundraising
You can find client testimonials at my website
I act as a coach and mentor to established and emerging leaders, and have developed group workshops around Branding, Personal Branding and ‘Career MOT’©. Speaking engagements include Edinburgh International Cultural Summit, ESRC and Arts & Business.
As a non-executive advisor I have supported creative industries, heritage, tourism, festivals and professional development bodies. I am the Chair of Craft Scotland and sit on the board of The Fruitmarket Gallery in Edinburgh.
My life in London included launching Tate Modern and the Natural History Museum’s first Darwin Centre. At National Museums Scotland I led four talented teams covering marketing, digital, fundraising, and national & international strategy; across five sites and four capital projects we together achieved record visitor numbers and raised over £80m, plus six-figure annual revenue income.
I would be delighted to talk to you about how we might work together – please do get in touch for a chat.
I have over 10 years of events marketing and communications experience, working on small-scale cultural programmes to global sporting events. I have experience of, and can support with:
- Bid writing – supporting bids to host events and funding applications
- Strategy planning and delivery
- Audience development – identifying target audiences and developing engagement plans
- Brand and creative development – working with a range of creative agencies from briefing to completition
- Media planning and delivery – working directly with media platforms and with media buying agencies to develop and deliver effective paid campaigns for events
- City dressing and event branding
- Social media and content development
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Stakeholder management
- Crisis comms
Before going freelance, I worked for 10 years at NewcastleGateshead Initiative, the destination marketing agency for Newcastle and Gateshead. During this time I was lucky to work on a varied events programme including high profile sporting events such as Rugby World Cup and Olympics (and their associated cultural programme). I was also involved in the bidding for and marketing of Great Exhibition of the North – a one-off event devised by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and with our own culture team to develop and market our annual programme of events.
My passion is events, and like nothing more than being in delivery mode at an event and seeing all of your planning and hardwork come to fruition.
As a strategic freelance marketing consultant I bring a fresh pair of eyes to your marketing and communications activity. Refresh your marketing with best practice from inside and outside the sector to make sure you get the most out of your marketing.
I can help you with:
* Marketing audit – find out what is working and what isn’t
* Marketing strategies for new or existing offers – find the right people at the right time with the right message
* Brand development – including visual identity, brand positioning and tone of voice
* Marketing campaign planning – ensuring you get the best ROI for your comms
* Digital marketing – set up and best practice for digital marketing channels including AdWords and social media
* Website projects – project management and delivery
* Marketing asset creation – delivery of designs, print, video, email etc through my trusted partners
* Training and coaching – develop your in-house team with bespoke training and support
As a Chartered Marketer, Fellow of the CIM and University Marketing Tutor I have over 20 years of experience in services marketing. I take a collaborative approach to projects ensuring that your in-house team are bought into the new approach. Having worked with large and very small budgets I enjoy finding creative solutions that are low-cost and effective at reaching your target audiences.
My experience includes theatres, tourist attractions, educational programmes, conference venues and community engagement programmes, as well as commercial marketing roles.
I’m based in Nottingham but can work virtually for organisations across the UK.
Get in touch for a chat to see if we’re a good fit.
Using experience gained from a range of arts and cultural organisations I can offer a number of services to support your project including:
Strategy planning and support – Social media coordination – Copywriting and content creation – Audience development
Please contact me to start a conversation about how we can work together.
I provide bespoke, evidence-driven interpersonal communications consultancy, appraisals, and training—
with the aim of improving organisational well-being.
Services include (but are not restricted to) text-analytic assessments of the psychometric properties of internal and external communications material; face-to-face appraisals of communicative style; tailored, strategic solutions to specific communications challenges; team dynamics reviews and strengths identification; and bespoke training in negotiation, persuasion, influence, compliance, conflict resolution, and staff well-being.
A seasoned freelancer of 12 years and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, my consultancy work has attracted the following clients in recent years: Barbican, Battersea Arts Centre, Boulevard Theatre, Bristol Old Vic, Cause4, CREATE, Headlong, Hofesh Shechter, Kneehigh, Nuffield Theatre, Old Vic Theatre, Regents Park Open Air Theatre, Spektrix and Tramshed. I cover a range of areas including, but not limited to: campaign strategy and implementation, branding, audience development, project management (e.g. websites, membership), marketing and comms audits and copywriting. I also deliver workshops on marketing and branding.
From 2007-2011 I was Head of Communications at the Royal Court in London under the artistic directorship of Dominic Cooke, launching more than 80 new plays on an unsuspecting public. In addition, I worked on the West End transfers of Clybourne Park, Jerusalem, ENRON, That Face and Rock n Roll.
Prior to this, I was a freelance marketing and press consultant for a diverse range of art forms including theatre, contemporary dance, comedy and music. My earlier roles include Marketing Account Manager at Ambassador Theatre Group in London and Account Manager at Feref Associates, a design agency.
As a professional Coach and Mentor, I work with middle and senior leaders in the cultural sector to help them achieve their personal and organisational goals.
As an avid believer in life-long learning, I undertake an ongoing programme of professional and personal development, focussing in particular on leadership and change management. Recent courses include: Fundraising and Leadership, Be A Trustee, Digital and Social media strategy, Small Business Big Results.
I am a Trustee of Sister System, a charity which delivers a year-long mentoring and development programme for teenage girls from looked-after care and part of the freelance collective www.makesthree.org
‘I have worked with Kym for many years, through Headlong and Hofesh Shechter Company. She is an extraordinarily effective member of any team: tenacious, dynamic and clear-sighted. I would wholeheartedly recommend her.’
Henny Finch, Executive Producer, Donmar Warehouse
‘Kym joined Bristol Old Vic as Communications Director cover. She designed and delivered the campaign that gave us our highest profile and biggest box office yield to date, and was a great team leader and valued Senior Management strategist. She hit the ground at top speed and stayed there.’
Emma Stenning, Executive Director, Bristol Old Vic
‘ACT engaged Kym for six months because we believed there were more actor-parents we could reach who needed support. More? An understatement! Kym enabled the charity to double its grants to families and forged new and lasting contacts. She listened to our aims, grasped our values and developed a strategy for ACT that was far-reaching, while being focused and achievable. No jargon, no long meetings. Simply: results.’
Robert Ashby, Executive Director
From project managing a new website to producing a full communications strategy, implementing GDPR and digital media, I have a wealth of experiences to offer companies wishing to strengthen brand awareness, build audiences and deliver their work to a high standard through all channels.
I have worked with small to medium sized arts organisations to support their PR and Marketing needs to raise their profile and be heard. I pride myself on my working relationships being open, trusting and warm. I believe in supporting my clients so that their messages cut through the noise.
I can support you in the following ways:
Strategic PR and Marketing planning
Website Development: from start to finish project management
Digital/Social Media Marketing
Database & Budget Management
Data & Evaluation
Internal & Partners comms
PR and Publicity
CMS and Intranet experienced
Print and Distribution
What people say about me:
“Thank you Binita. Feel like I am throwing a ball and you keep catching it.” Rebecca, Entelechy Arts
“Thank goodness for an on the ball PR” Dionne Kennedy from the Big Issue.
I am a hardworking and enthusiastic individual with 8 years of experience in the theatre marketing industry covering West End, Tours and Off West-End venues. As a freelancer, I create bespoke marketing packages to fit any budget and suit your individual needs. My range of marketing services are diverse, allowing you to cherry pick from the marketing mix as required, or book a fully cohesive marketing campaign right from brand conception, to closing night.
Current and past clients include Chloe Nelkin Consulting, JHI, Buckland Theatre, Tiata Fahodzi, Guildhall, The National Trust, Pigtails Productions, Scamp Theatre, Lily Atkinson, Tim Johanson, Mark Cartwright, Hampstead Theatre, London Musical Theatre Orchestra, Immersion Theatre, Avex Recitals, Paulden Hall Productions and Watermill Theatre.
Previous employers include Dewynters (promotions), Dreamworks Theatricals and JHI (Marketing Campaigns Manager). On behalf of JHI I managed the marketing campaigns for Kenny Wax Ltd: The Play That Goes Wrong, Peter Pan That Goes Wrong and the West End runs and UK tours of Jacqueline Wilson’s Hetty Feather.
My aim is to share and develop my knowledge as I listen to and respond to my clients.
I’ve had in-house roles at the Barbican, Natural History Museum, English Heritage and Southbank Centre where I specialised in membership, CRM and email marketing.
I can work with you and your team and organisation on any of the following areas:
Loyalty and membership
Working with clients to gain deeper understanding as to where or why they are gaining new customers. Solutions include:
• Review and audit existing membership schemes
• Advise about the potential for membership and loyalty schemes and work with clients to implement them
• Help identify loyal customers, and customers who have the potential to grow
• Improve and refine the range of member benefits
• Suggest ways to reward and surprise good customers
• Demonstrate the wider impact of members beyond their subscription value
Enhancing marketing performance and digital conversion
Helping clients unlock potential of existing customers by developing response driven communications:
• Work with organizations to demonstrate the marketing solutions are working to provide sustainable profitability
• Analyse campaign, social media, website and e-commerce performance
• Refine existing approaches or developing new strategies to generate new customers, followers, audiences and donors
• Set up testing opportunities including creative propositions, media and conversion online
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Loyal customers are the ultimate aim of most businesses and in this area potential solutions include:
• Recommend new approaches to create a thriving customer-focused cultured based on database insights
• Collaborative create CRM strategies, roadmaps and guidance
• Advise on the research and analysis options to gain deeper customer insights
• Establish or refine customer segmentation models
• Develop communications and campaigns based on customer needs
Training, coaching, mentoring and directorate/executive strategic support and recruitment
Busy managers and team members are supported to develop existing or new skills. Solutions include:
• Train teams or individuals on topics such as creative development, campaign strategy and evaluating performance
• Coach and mentoring individuals to enhance their management or marketing skills
• Support time-poor directors and senior executives with confidential advice and strategic guidance
• Draw up job descriptions, set tasks and be part of the interview process
Lucy is an accomplished marketer who combines top-notch strategic knowledge with practical, actionable marketing support. When we worked together at the Landmark Trust, Lucy provided valuable advice on direct and email marketing and website development.
Helen Hartstein, Head of Audience Development at The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery
Lucy’s experience in membership and loyalty scheme has helped Southbank Centre to dramatically grow its membership base as well as improve retention and renewal rates to levels in excess of 90%.
Chris Denton, Director of Communications, Southbank Centre
I reveal hidden income streams and dramatically energise engagement for arts and non-profit organisations. I do this in five main ways:
1) Acting as the matchmaker between marketing and fundraising to create new lines of income
2) Increasing global reach to develop audiences in new territories and bring new international new audiences to you
3) Increasing audience bravery, encouraging audiences to release their inner child and try something new
4) Increasing audience engagement, making audiences need you, not just want you
5) Project managing organisational change projects which combine audience and donor development, fundraising and market research.
I enable organisations to reach their potential through employing the best, most streamlined tactics possible. Working in this streamlined way places me as your navigator to lead the way, putting in the lion’s share of the work, to ensure that your journey from project start to project success is as effortless as possible.
I am a freelance arts marketing consultant with over 15 years experience working in the industry. Prior to becoming freelance, I spent 12 years at Sadler’s Wells where I lead the marketing for the venue’s in house productions on tour both nationally and internationally. I was also marketing lead on two strategic tours for Breakin’ Convention, and for the National Youth Dance Company.
Areas of specialism include but are not limited to:
– Marketing planning for touring
– Venue liaison
– Digital campaigns
– Website briefing
– Design and print experience (including brochures and programmes)
– Marketing consultation
Current and past freelance clients include:
Aakash Odedra Company
Joss Arnott Dance (Emergence)
Nikki & JD
Pavilion Dance South West
Remarkable Productions (for Croydon International Mela and London Mela)
Surf the Wave
I am a trustee on the board of Hornsey Town Hall Trust, a buildings conservation trust set up to help secure a future of the iconic north London building.
In my spare time, I am a keen amateur photographer and member of Muswell Hill Photographic Society where I hold the position of Co-President.
Hannah has experience working with venues, composers, choirs, orchestras, musicians and music charities, leading creative marketing campaigns for numerous concerts outside of traditional spaces, including warehouses, pubs, clubs, museums, hospitals and prisons.
Specialising in social media, Hannah has managed the digital presence for many music organisations and artists including choral composer John Rutter. Her production credits include classical club nights and contemporary classical gigs in pubs for Nonclassical. Her alter ego is the Founder & CEO of London Flashmob, which sees her creating quirky pop-ups from wedding proposals to cultural pranks, including the London Undersound – a participatory audio adventure through the streets of Soho.
I’m a freelancer working across the UK with museums, libraries, galleries, theatres and heritage organisations.
With over eighteen years’ experience in the sector, I provide tactical and strategic support in:
– independent exploratory research and consultation
– marketing and communication
– audience development planning.
I’m also a qualified trainer and facilitator.
Previous clients include: National Trust, London Transport Museum, Manchester Art Gallery, More Music, Macclesfield Museums, Manchester International Festival, Rosehill Theatre, Royal Exchange Theatre, St Helens Libraries, Salford Libraries, Wirral Libraries, Leeds Libraries, Arts Council England, National Museums Liverpool plus many more.
Find new audiences, communicate with your most engaged visitors, grab attention for your projects. Tell everyone who you are and what you do.
Spark Arts Marketing & Project Management is run by Caz Slota, a freelance arts marketer with over 10 years of experience in the performing arts industry.
Whether you are looking for a partner for a long-term project or simply have a quick one-off piece of work, Spark can provide what you need. Services include:
o Marketing campaigns for shows, projects or venues
o Online & digital services – SEO, websites, social media, email communications
o Asset creation – Flyer, poster and brochure design, video editing, copywriting, online media production
o Strategy, planning and research – project administration, audience development, branding and other services with a wider scope
Having graduated in 2009 with a Theatre & Performances Studies degree from the University of Warwick, my passion for the arts took me to a role as Marketing Officer for the Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds in 2010, leaving in 2015 as Head of Department. From 2015 – 2016 I worked for Tara Arts and managed the marketing, sales and branding strategy for the reopening of the new Tara Theatre.
Since November 2016, I have been working as a freelance Arts Marketing consultant and manager on strategy development, tour marketing, branding and digital strategy and implementation for producing companies. Currently working as Communications Manager for the Original Theatre Company and HOME Slough with projects for Cahoots Theatre Company, The Production Exchange, Park Theatre, Southwark Playhouse and The Other Palace. Emma also runs the marketing module for the MA in Creative Producing at Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts with course leader Chris Grady.
Over the last 8 years Emma has worked on 10 national tours including Mansfield Park (Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds); Three Men In A Boat, Invincible, Monogamy (Original Theatre Company, 2015, 2016 & Brits Off Broadway); The Diary of a Hounslow Girl, Hamlet (Black Theatre Live); Emma (The Production Exchange) as well as London runs Paradise of the Assassins (Tara Arts); The Roundabout, Deny, Deny, Deny, Twitstorm, Twilight Song (Cahoots Theatre Company/Park Theatre); Hamlet (Gyles Brandreth), Secondary Victim, There or Here, Schism, Beruit, Peter Pan (Park Theatre), Bananaman (Southwark Playhouse), Ghost About The House (Kings Head Theatre) For King and Country (Southwark Playhouse) and Murder For Two (The Other Palace).
As an experienced marketing and communications professional who has worked with and for a wide range of arts organisations spanning over 20 years, I challenge organisations to think about their approach to audiences from both the inside and out.
The significant success I have achieved in audience development and segmentation – Test Drive the Arts programme, a cutting edge Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and segmentation strategy: Audience Builder and many other ground-breaking audience development programmes many of which have been widely disseminated and copied across the UK and Europe – means I can draw on that experience to create bespoke, creative and strategic audience focused solutions that are effective and value for money.
My approach includes new technology consultancy and implementation project management providing the systems solutions to deliver organisational CRM strategies.
Since launching HD Consulting in 2010 I’ve worked on a whole range of interesting CRM, Marketing and Audience development projects including:
– a joint project with Morris Hargreaves Mcintyre to develop an audience insight, segmentation and CRM strategy for Shakespeare’s Globe.
– enabling the National Horse Race Museum to identify a fit-for-purpose and cost effective CRM system solution, ready for the opening of their new museum site whilst also meeting the wider needs of the organisation in terms of developing an overarching systems strategy. The aim was to address the integration of existing systems, provision of the right physical hard-wear (bar code scanners/mobile devices etc) to allow visitors entry to the museum, and the tools to undertake effective marketing, CRM and reporting analysis.
– leading and managing the Lancashire Classical Music Collaboration – a 2 year audience development programme to develop audiences for classical music in Lancashire – involving an Arts Council England funded partnership between the Halle orchestra, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic orchestra, Manchester Camerata, King George’s Hall Blackburn, The Muni in Colne and The Guildhall, Preston.
– Review, develop and create Customer Relationship Management (systems, strategy, case study) content for the AMA CultureHive website
– working with Welsh National Opera on an audience research project to investigate two key objectives from their marketing strategy a) retaining the core regular existing audience (and increase their frequency and risk taking as appropriate), b) reactivating inactive attenders. We conducted a series of focus groups and telephone interview with audiences from both their home venue, Wales Millenium Centre and several touring venues.
Freelance Marketing and Digital Professional with over 13 years’ experience working within the arts, culture and non-profit sectors.
I specialise in digital marketing strategy and campaign delivery. Prior to becoming freelance I spent 9 years working at the Royal Shakespeare Company where I established and developed the organisation’s strong social media presence across all platforms, led on email marketing strategy and worked across range of digital projects and marketing campaigns. I’ve also worked extensively on membership scheme recruitment and retention campaigns, high profile season launches, marketing campaigns for national and international live cinema broadcast and social media management for large scale events.
Based in the Midlands, my recent clients include City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, THSH (Town Hall Symphony Hall), Sense, Arts Marketing Association, C&T, Tonica CRM & Insight, Earthen Lamp and University of Warwick.
I am an experienced user of Tessitura (CRM and Box Office) and Wordfly (email marketing) as well as a range of content management systems, including WordPress. I was awarded the CIM Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing in September 2011.
Services I offer include:
– Marketing campaign management and delivery
– Social media strategy and delivery, including paid targeted advertising
– Google Adwords consultancy and account management for both search and display advertising
– Email marketing strategy and delivery
– Digital Health Checks
– Website and social media analytics
– Copywriting for online platforms and printed materials
– Communications co-ordination for complex, multi-partner projects
– Devising and delivering marketing and digital communications training and seminars for professionals, students and young people