Develop a grounding in marketing in this 6 module online course
Whether you are in your first marketing job, or want to have a grasp of the basics to support your work in other areas, AMA’s Marketing Essentials will develop your knowledge, skills and practice.
This course will take you through key concepts and practical examples across 6 modules:
- The Role of Marketing
- What Audiences Want
- Brand, Messaging & Position
- Objectives & Planning
- Blended Digital Marketing
- Evaluation & Reporting
It will help formalise your learning, so you can be more confident in applying skills, and better understand the context and contribution of your work. You will gain knowledge and the tools for practical application of that new knowledge.
We encourage managers to send people who will benefit from foundational marketing skills, as this will support the confident application of those skills in their work, and lay the foundations for strategic thinking.
Taking the course
- The modules can stand alone and members can attend each individually, but to complete the course and be eligible for certification, you must register as a course participant.
- To gain certification, in addition to completing all six modules, you’ll be required to pass a multiple-choice exercise relating to each session.
- Modules can be completed either live, or via recordings within 7 days of the live date.
Why join Marketing Essentials?
The modules build on each other to develop a rounded sense of what marketing is, how it fits into work of arts and cultural organisation’s work, and practical aspects you can apply. By taking part in Marketing Essentials you’ll be part of a cohort learning together.
The Role of Marketing
- What is marketing?
- How does it fit within organisations?
- The marketing mix
What Audiences Want
- Who are your audiences?
- What information sources do you have?
- Audience-first vs product-first
- Basics of research
- Useful tools
Brand, Messaging & Position
- What is brand?
- Key messages
Objectives & Planning
- What can/should you measure (SMART objectives)
- AIDA model and sales funnels
- Campaign planning
Blended Digital Marketing
- Digital marketing mix
- Online behaviour and goals
- Content and channels
Evaluation & Reporting
- Why evaluation is important
- Metrics – what you want and why
- Reporting and presentation of evaluation
Book your place
Essentials of Marketing 2022 is a pilot course designed around the needs of our members. As a thank-you to our members whose input has helped shape the development of the course, this pilot is free for members to attend.
Cost to participate for non-members £395 + VAT per person
Beginning in September, sessions run once every 2 weeks from 10am-12pm (total running time 12 weeks).
- Module 1: 7th Sept
- Module 2: 21st Sept
- Module 3: 5th Oct
- Module 4: 19th Oct
- Module 5: 2nd Nov
- Session 6: 16th Nov
- Graduation: 30th Nov
The certification process
At the end of each module, you’ll complete a short multiple-choice test reflecting on what you’ll have learned. The test will be open for 7 days after the live broadcast module, and must be completed within this time.
After successfully completing all modules, an online graduation will take place, including time to reflect, share experiences and make connections with others in your cohort.
Marketing & Communications Director at Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse Theatres
Marketing Strategist, Freelance
Head of Digital Innovation at the Museum of London
Head of Marketing at Arts Marketing Association
To accompany the course we have curated a selection of resources on AMAculturehive to supplement the workshops undertaken during Marketing Essentials. These will be shared in advance of the start of the course.