How do you inspire 600+ people in just 8 mins? Jane Cordell, Director at social enterprise Result CIC, is up for the challenge. Jane is one of five prominent thought leaders to feature in our quick-fire opening keynote at AMA conference 2017 — The Value of Everything. In this one-to-one she gives us a glimpse into her session.
Tell us your story in under 50 words.
I am a musician who became deaf as an adult, a coach and social entrepreneur. I chaired DaDaFest 2012–17. I campaign for greater equality and access because it makes society happier and healthier.
How does this year’s AMA conference theme — The Value of Everything — speak to you?
I smiled at its allusion to Oscar Wilde’s line for Lord Darlington defining a cynic: someone ‘who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing’. This is partly because as a deaf professional I regularly feel that I am not given the opportunity to obtain the full value which the arts has to offer. I am intrigued by what this conference, at a time of ever great cuts to budgets, will make of this.
What are the key trends and ideas that you are thinking about at the moment?
- The re-birth of grassroots activism
- The growth of the social enterprise sector
- The alarming increase in UK inequality and poverty
- The need for new ways to understand the bewildering new political order
- The likelihood that real-life experiences (not virtual) will become even more prized
How will you decide what to share in just 8 minutes?
- Who are you and what is likely to be on your minds?
- Which new perspectives will excite and challenge you most?
- Which questions can help you open new ways of thinking?
What are the three key things delegates will take away from your session?
- New ways to look at people who are not (yet) your customers
- The perspective of an arts ‘insider-outsider’
- Self-coaching as a way to keep exploring
What are you most looking forward to about AMA conference 2017?
The opportunity to meet new people with varied experience and share ideas. When a group like this gets together, magical things can happen!
Jane Cordell giving the Corporate Wisdom speech at Leeds Business School in January 2017. Images courtesy of Leeds University Business School © Anthony Glossop.