Arts Producer and Consultant, Susan Hay, received an AMA freelancers bursary to attend AMA conference 2017 in Belfast. She shares her Eureka moments in this blog post and video diary.
I just got back from AMA conference 2017 in Belfast — a fast paced, informative and friendly event.
Not being a marketer, I hoped to find the holy grail of connecting with audiences to build the company’s profile and encourage people to try out shows. Networking kicked off immediately as we gathered in the impressive foyer of Titanic museum before being taken to a replica of the Titanic’s dining room for food – a great photo opportunity for Titanic fans!
I had several Eureka moments:
- Don’t use one voice to talk to audiences – they experience things differently (from Sarah Ogle’s – How to be a Marketing Superhero session)
- AMA Culturehive resources are invaluable to plan your marketing strategy
- You can be more creative if you have the evidence to back up your decisions
- Data protection doesn’t have to be scary
- Use YouTube properly – think about the function, structure, personality, subject and set for any video to engage audiences – make your channel unique and entertaining
- Use Vid IQ for YouTube so you can see who has shared your content (even if they haven’t signed up)
- Subtitling in YouTube is great – but check for typos before posting!
- Use humour and have fun
- Ask a young person for advice on the best angles for selfies
- To edit video on your phone – you need to download the software first!
- There’s always another way to do things – keep trying and see what works.
- Don’t be afraid to get it wrong.
- Be more Kunoichi and become a Marketing Superhero.
Looking forward to next year.